Thursday, August 8, 2013

Baking Bread

Bread is not one thing I have conquered in the gluten free world but I will share my experience with you anyways! I have a really hard time spending almost $5 a loaf for gluten free bread so I've forced my way into trying to make my own. I've tried a couple different recipes but so far this bread recipe from Eating Gluten Free has been the closest I've come to "normal bread." I failed to take pictures of each step but the recipe is pretty easy to follow. I used the all purpose flour mix I made a couple weeks ago but any other all purpose flour mix should work just fine.

Gluten Free White Bread  

3 c. GF all purpose flour (recipe here)
1/4 c. sugar
3 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tbsp. yeast
1 3/4 c. warm water
1/4 c. oil (I used canola)
1 tsp. rice vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
3 eggs

Combine flour, sugar, xanthan gum, and salt in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle yeast on top. Pour warm water over the yeast and let sit for about 5 minutes. Add oil, vinegar and eggs. Beat on HIGH for 5 minutes. Pour into a greased bread pan (I use two smaller bread pans). Cover pans with a towel and let dough rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake for 25-30 minutes. (My smaller pans take about 25 mins.)

It may seem a little strange to whip up bread dough at such a high speed but I've learned about why you need to beat gluten free dough on high and other helpful gluten free baking tips from this article.

TIP: Remove the baked loaf from the pan and place on a cooling rack as soon as possible to prevent the bottom from getting soggy in the pan (learned from experience on that one). They also mention this is the article I linked above.


This past week I finished nursing nursing Sawyer so I've indulged in a few goodies like Krispy Kreme doughnuts and biscuits and gravy from Cracker Barrel. It's such a strange feeling to start eating whatever I want without feeling guilty! We are still going to limit the gluten filled foods in the house because the little man is always wanting what we have but I won't mind busting out some Oreos once in a while after the kid is in bed!

This journey of being gluten free has really impacted my own health and what I choose to allow into my body day to day. Having to limit my intake of certain foods for the past 16 months forced me to eat healthier but also gave me a greater appreciation for nutritious foods God designed our bodies to consume. I do have the freedom to eat an Oreo or all those other tasty glutenous foods I've missed but I know those foods will have an impact on how effectively my body functions.

I'm so grateful for this challenging experience to sacrifice my cravings for a lesson in making healthier choices. God is all powerful and I believe He can heal Sawyer's body so I continue to pray that one day (SOON) he can eat gluten as well!




No comments:

Post a Comment